COVID-19 - Work from Anywhere Resources
We continue to follow Public Health England and UK Government guidelines and advice relating to COVID-19.
We have now re-opened our training facility. In order to keep our trainers and trainees safe, we have:
- Adapted our training courses and how we deliver them
- Reduced numbers on courses to ensure social distancing is maintained
- Reinforced our sanitation processes to reduce the risk of transfer.
- Ensured hand washing facilities and hand gel sanitisers are available throughout the building
- Created signage to enable people to socially distance effectively
- Suggested use of PPE in the form of a facemask will be advised and made available.
To request a risk assessment click here
To rebook a cancelled training course click here
Remote control your workstation from your home PC using the free Chrome Remote Desktop tool. Follow the link below for instructions. Please note that with this option the graphics may lag a little and you won’t be able to use your Spacemouse but your machine will behave just as it does in the office (because it’s still in the office).
By configuring your workstation to connect to a secure VPN or Virtual Private Network you are able to take it home, connect it to the internet and work as if you are plugged into your network at the office. Your connection to Autodesk Vault and your drive mappings to company servers should work fine (if not a little slow). Remember though if you take your desktop or tower PC home they don’t usually have WiFi so you will need to set up close to your router or use Powerline Adapters*, just make sure you get the ones with Ethernet ports built-in (and take home a network cable). If you are using network licenses you may need to increase the amount of time your application will wait before it gives up trying to get a license. This involves setting up a system variable on your workstation. See here for instructions.
*Powerline adapters are filters which allow network signals to travel down your domestic power cables.
For you Inventor users, if none of the options above are suitable and you decide to copy your data to your workstation and take it home please consider the following:-
- Copy your Templates and Design Data folders too.
- You may need to create a new Project (.ipj) file to point to your local hard drive and templates.
- The files you are working on are not visible to other users so stay in touch when working on parts of a model which may influence other parts of the design.
Resourcefulness during COVID-19 is absolutely essential and we have been sharing these resources with our customers throughout the pandemic. Here are some of the most useful.
- The Autodesk Resource Centre Click here
- Guidelines for installing and using Autodesk software in a virtual environment Click here
- Best practices for optimizing your VPN Click here
- Best practices for accessing Autodesk software while working remotely Click here
- Guidelines and help for using Autodesk software at home Click here
- There’s also a Webinar Series on remote working and collaboration for Design and Manufacturing Professionals, and for Architects, Civil Engineers and BIM Managers